Pages

Saturday 7 September 2013

HOW TO MAKE ROSEMARY SALT

And now for something completely different! My community garden - King Henry's Walk Garden - was having its harvest fair today and since the only truly successful plants on my veg plot are 2 HUGE rosemary bushes - I decided to make some rosemary salt. I've made it before, and it is truly delicious sprinkled on veg, rubbed into meat or fish before cooking, or rolled around a damp potato before baking - but this time I was going to go for quantity so I had to work out some kind of recipe so that I kept the same consistency going throughout the batches.

So here is my ROSEMARY SALT recipe:

500 grams of sea salt
the zest of one large lemon (removed with a potato peeler is the easiest way)
1 or 2 garlic cloves, peeled
25 grams of rosemary leaves (or about 15 little sprigs, with the leaves removed from the woody stalks)

You may also need 3 200g jars from Ikea and some printed sticky labels - I got mine printed by moo.com

Heat the oven to its lowest temperature, with the fan on if you have one. Put it all the ingredients in a food processor, pulse a few times and then leave the processor on for a minute or two until the rosemary and lemon and garlic are really fine but the salt is not totally powdered. Then empty it all onto a flat oven-proof tray, and put in the oven for at least an hour (stirring it around every now and then) until it feels and looks dry. While its in the oven, wash and sterilise some screw top jars by putting them in the oven too. Let the salt cool a little, then pour it into the jars, put on the lids and attach a label.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment